Left Brain Introvert
Welcome to the land of “Why should I? What’s in it for me?” This horse reads people like a book. He knows what you want and he’s not going to give it to you, unless you treat him right. Even though he appears stubborn or lazy, he’s not at all lazy in the mind! Reverse psychology is where it’s at, oh… and treats!
- Use incentive – treats, grazing, rest, scratches, etc. Incentive
is not bribing because you’ll ask your horse to do something before rewarding him. A bribe is when you use the treat to lure him into doing it. There’s a big difference.
- Ask him to do less than he’s offering. It will blow his mind! He’ll then start offering more.
- Give him time to think. He’s not a slow thinker; he’s just got to stop thinking resistant thoughts before he can be more in tune with you.
- Variety is important, it makes life interesting.
- Use more drive than draw.
- Teach him some tricks. This is fun for both of you and is a good way to make him feel clever.
- Move his mind and he’ll move his feet.
- Parelli Patterns! They encourage him to think and show how smart he is.
- Make him work. He uses energy only for the things he thinks are fun.
- Punish him. You’ll have a big fight on your hands. This horse is a master intimidator of people when he dislikes them!
- Don’t push him. He’ll have you working harder than him! He’s also great at objecting when asked to go faster and usually responds by kicking up, swishing his tail or laying back his ears. Just don’t go there. Do the opposite of what he expects.
- Don’t micromanage – ask him to do something and then wait for him to do it. If he doesn’t, resend.
- Don’t get tougher, get more ‘interesting’ – do less to get more. Surprise him with a flick under the flank and a treat (cookie, rub or rest) when he tries.
- Use much repetition. He cannot see the point in doing the same thing over and over and will lose motivation and respect for you. He’s smart. Treat him like he is.
- Let your horse come to you with his ears back. Send/chase him away until he asks for permission to come to you.
- Get fooled into thinking that he’s lazy. He’s just unmotivated by you, so figure out how to make things more interesting?